Monday, February 18, 2008

Book Clubs


I have loved being part of book clubs off and on over the last 5 years. My first book club was in Eugene with some women from work. We met monthly at one of our houses and would make a meal that would pair with the theme/setting of the book. When I moved to Colorado it wasn't until after I was out of school (of course...who has time for book clubs while in grad school?) that I asked around at work to see if anyone was interested in starting a book club. I was thrilled that around 8-10 women were interested! Again we met monthly and would have dinner and good conversation together (Picture is my CO bookclub at my last meeting). When we moved to DC I was so sad to say goodbye to the amazing group of women that had come together for our book club in Denver, but told myself I'd just have to start up another one in DC!

Well after a few months I made the first attempt with some friends/co-workers, and was excited when they said yes! It is a small group of women so far (6 when we are all there) but has been fun so far. Some meetings it is more "social club" than "book club"- but it is great to have time with friends and good conversation. The book we picked this month is Three Cups of Tea. We decided to go out to a middle eastern restaurant for our meeting in March-which will be a first for me in my book club life!
Some of my favorites over the years--Eat, Pray, Love, Lovely Bones, and The History of Love. All well worth the read!

2 comments:

VickiA said...

Bless your heart Michelle, you look beautiful !!! Best wishes to you and Grahmn. Stay healthy , I know you're going to be a wonderful mommy ! I'll look forward to seeing more of you ! Lots of love, from a friend of your mom's, Vicki Atz, Houston, Tx.

VickiA said...

Just checking in to say "HI" and hope you're feeling well ! Looking forward to hearing more about you and the bundle of love ! Vicki Atz