Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas 2011



I adore Christmas eve. We had a beautiful tree this year. By Christmas eve, the ornaments were all on the upper 1/3 of the tree to avoid toddler snatching, lol. Looks so funny but made me laugh everytime I looked at it. The presents were the perfect touch to balance it out, =)On Christmas eve the anticipation of the month is finally at a head and the final preparations for Christmas morning are ready to be completed. I love digging out the bags of presents that I've stuffed in the back of the closet, in the trunk of the car, and that we've received for the kids and getting out the wrapping paper and getting to work while a Christmas movie plays on tv. I buy 2 different rolls of paper just like my parents did to differentiate between the kids' gifts. The last few years g has been assembling toys for the kids, and I'm starting to enjoy this being part of the Christmas eve tradition.
This year g wanted to get the kids bikes from work, so iz got a pink bike with pedals (as requested), and bodes got a tricycle. I wanted to get the kids shopping carts, so the tree was exploding with gifts this year. We also received huge boxes from the grandparents with amazing gifts for the kids (and us!). Thank you so much grandma and grandpa ayres and nanna and papa!
*pictures will be posted in next posting, currently not working to put into post (boo, hiss!)
On Christmas morning iz woke up first and was exploding with quiet excitment and she exclaimed, "there are presents under the tree!!" She walked around looking at everything before quickly unwrapping all that were hers one after another. Bodes woke up a few minutes after iz had started and seemed a bit overwhelmed at everything, happy but not sure what to do. I grabbed the cameras and fumbled around trying to take pictures and mostly just watching the kids enjoy the morning. Didn't end up with many great photos, but that's ok! Iz helped bodes unwrap some of his gifts...and after about 30 minutes all unwrapping was complete! Wow...and all before my coffee, only Christmas morning could carry me through.
After the morning gifts the kids played around with their toys and bikes (and went a bit crazy from early morning chocolate), while g and I cleaned up and started getting ready to head to see mel, chris, and oliver!
I made an apple pie, marshmellow "fruit salad", (failed) cinamon rolls, and (forgotten at home) peppermint bark, to bring along. We had a delish dinner in St. Paul with mel and family and enjoyed more gift opening, but mostly time together.
It's so easy for me to get carried away with gifts this time of year. Just part of my nature and personality, especially now for my kids. With the recent move and changes we (mostly me) are working at being more fiscally responsible. It was hard to not shower people I love with gifts, but I'm working on small tokens (handmade, etc) and with verbal and written appreciation to make sure the people in my life know how important they are to me and how much I love them.
I feel truly blessed and reflect regularly on what I have to appreciate in my life. The list is long...very long. Feeling grateful today for all those blessings.

1 comment:

eaddies said...

Great write-up....thanks..hahahhahhahhaha....got a big kick out of the ornaments one-third up the tree...not sure how you made it thro without coffee!!!!!!! Cute darling pics..love you all xxooooo....