Monday, September 19, 2011

for mel

This post is for my sister...
wish i could take you to a movie and buy you a slurpee right about now!




or perhaps you'd rather enjoy a giant sandwhich? =)



or a pizza...



we sure know our food, don't we? remember when i'd come visit you in santa cruz and we'd plan our week by which places we were going to eat? oh wait...we still do that! I'll take one week in santa cruz on the beach, just me and you.....!











there is nothing better in this world than to have a sister.
A sister who is always there for you. Through thick and thin. To let you know that you aren't alone, to listen and provide comfort. To encourage, laugh with you, and to listen when you need to talk. Someone who knows when you just need to hear, "I'm sorry shell, that sounds really hard." A sister- also someone who can let you know your outfit or hairstyle does in fact look good, and to provide a steady hand when you need to reflect on not so great decisions, resulting in questions such as, "why did you let me get a body wave (read = perm)??. I am so blessed to have such a sister in my life.





As my sister is waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the arrival of my neice or nephew, I've found myself wanting to know everything that's happening with her during this time of change. I find myself thinking, how is she feeling? is she nervous? excited? can she still bend over to pick something up? does she feel the same way i did when i was pregnant? i crave knowing details, resulting in face time calls where i ask..."pull up your shirt so i can see your belly!!, ok, just one more time before you go. now stand up so i can see what you look like ....etc. etc." it's hard to be away! I'm so thankful for technology that allows us to stay connected, and so that I can check in whenever i need my sister fix.


A few old pics....







I also find myself missing those times, just for a bit, when it was just her and I. When we had whole vacations of days full together. with coffee, beach sunning, shopping, eating, more eating,..me dying at crossfit class, ...so many fun things. =)





so many great memories, great times. the bond of a sister is something I always wanted for my kids. i often wonder if a sister/brother could be as close?

thank you mel for always being there for me. a few more random pics of old times, (only 1/3 of the pics I selected are posting because blogger is annoying, sorry!)....




















and then a few from very old times.... after all we've been together since day 1 (well for me anyway). (plus some support for the fact that momo will be cute as a baby, =))
















































i've also been thinking about how my sister must have felt with the arrival of biz and bodes (as me becoming an aunt grows closer). similar to getting married, a new addition to the family. growing pains when someone new is added to the family, a change. i think i'm wondering how i will feel? and looking back was i supportive enough, did I let her know that she always met the same to me, even when I was completely pre-occupied and crying, frazzled, at the end of my rope, or excited, busy, proud to share something new there were doing? i hope she knows. then i look at the pictures of us since biz and bodes, and I realize it's still us. you adapt. some things are hard. but you still have amazing, fun times together. they may be different, but the bond never changes. it is still there, strong and steady. knowing that even if you don't talk as much that doesn't mean that the other person doesn't care. you are still together, thick as theives, through thick and thin. realizing that at certain times in life you may be closer than others, but you will always be there for each other. supporting, loving, sharing. one of life's challenges- but once you figure it out...it's even more wonderful.


So to wrap things up...momo- hurry up and get out here and meet your new family!


and


i love you mel!

1 comment:

eaddies said...

That is so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxoooooooooo Hope the other pics
'show up'....